Have you ever wondered about the purpose of technology?
For many, the main goal is to drive improvements in general well-being, accessibility for people, or productivity for businesses. With this in mind, SaaS is an acronym that has received a lot of attention from companies.
You have probably heard of it or are even using one of its resources, even if you are not aware of it. Surprised? Then let’s talk more about it!
If you’ve ever used Dropbox, Google Drive, or converters like Free PDF, we’re happy to announce that you’ve used SaaS.
Don’t you know any of them? Well, wait, because we have two cards up our sleeve that you are sure to be familiar with. Netflix (yes, this worldwide phenomenon is also a SaaS) and drum rolls. rock content! Yes, we are too! We’ve created this complete piece of content to help you learn all about this SaaS universe and how it works. In it, we address the following topics:
What Are SaaS Companies?
In the past, business owners would always complain about the amount of software they had to purchase to perform various business functions.
1) One software for inventory control, one for cash flow, another for invoicing. And we could go on!: These acquisitions included purchasing software, paying licenses, a computer for receiving, and a server to connect different users within the organization.
And let’s not forget the high cost of updating and maintaining these solutions.
Furious! A lot, isn’t it?
2) This and the total dissatisfaction of the customers with the IT resources gave rise to the idea of creating software as a service: The goal is for the company to stop buying, paying for the license, and keeping the software up to date. The program is on the Internet: all you have to do is access it and use it. It doesn’t need to be installed on your computer – it just requires you to access the Internet. You may be wondering what “area” of the Internet these programs are hosted in. To answer this, we need to talk about cloud computing.
It is a technology that provides a place for storing data in the virtual network of the Internet.
3) And all of this leads us to the main question: what are SaaS companies?: They are organizations that develop and market software that is considered to be serviced.
You are responsible for maintaining the system structure and making it available to your customers. In addition, they are also responsible for ensuring data security and reliability.
What Are The Advantages And Benefits Of Software As A Service?
- As mentioned in the previous topic, there is no need to purchase the software, license it, own a particular computer, and spend money to keep the program updated.
- The cost is much lower.
No Hardware Is Required To Host, The Software
- The software is hosted in the cloud, so no computer is required for maintenance.
- This creates more agility, practicality, and usability.
Access Anywhere Access
- You can access your SaaS from anywhere as long as you are connected to the Internet. This allows you to use a program even when you are miles away from your company headquarters.
- As the availability of the Internet increases, the coverage area expands and offers many other possible uses.
Customizable Options To Suit The Needs Of The Customer
- If the software doesn’t meet your needs perfectly, don’t worry.
- You can purchase additional packages, customize the service and increase its efficiency.
- Standard software requires constant updates, which leads to high and cyclical fees.
- Software as a service works differently. Since the program is hosted on the Internet, it updates it automatically.
Integrations With Other Systems Are Made Easy
- Another significant advantage of SaaS is the possibility of integration with other systems.
- The software is intelligently designed to enable this integration quickly and easily.
What Are The Differences Between SaaS And Software Companies?
Now let’s focus on the critical differences between software and SaaS companies.
- The first and most significant difference is where the customer data is hosted.
- While standard software has to be installed on a contractor’s computer, the SaaS data is stored in the cloud and accessed via a web browser.
- Software as a Service does not require any particular setup for each customer and has standard customizations so that the user can choose the packages that best suit their needs.
- For a company to be considered SaaS, the software must also be service-oriented and called up via a web browser or an application designed for Access with mobile devices.
What Are The Initial Costs For The Implementation Of SaaS?
All right, now that you know the benefits of SaaS, what is the initial cost of using this application? We’ll show you! If you want to use a SaaS, keep in mind that the price is limited to the subscription. Take Netflix, for example. You do not have to download it to your computer or install updates. Log in, register, pay the subscription fee (you can choose the plan that suits you best), and you’re done! You are ready to watch your favorite movies and series.
For SaaS companies, the procedure is the same. The perception of value is even more significant because their software solutions are designed to solve big problems that might otherwise require much higher investments. So it has to be clear that SaaS is not seen as an expense but as an investment.
What Billing Methods Are There?
Think carefully about billing your customers if you own a business or want to start a company offering SaaS solutions. This can have a direct impact on your sales and, of course, your company’s profitability. So we’re going to show you a few options available.
Credit card payment is the most popular method among consumers. However, this option is not so attractive for companies, as credit card companies, among other surcharges, charge high fees, which are usually between 3 and 8%. It is essential to factor in these additional costs to maintain your target profit margin when calculating the price. And try to negotiate these fees and conditions with the providers.
- From a company perspective, the best type of billing is direct debit.
- This option is beneficial as it allows customers to pay instantly and more conveniently.
- In addition, it offers low cost and high loyalty and maintains a reasonable subscription renewal rate.
However, some banks are no longer satisfied with this type of operation and start to reject it. In addition, the company must rely on a financial management system to control all payments and ensure proper performance.
What Are The Challenges Of This Business Model?
Despite the numerous advantages and possibilities, SaaS companies face a significant challenge. Convince your customers that the concentration of their data in the cloud is safe.
Small and medium-sized companies usually do not see any problems when using SaaS, as the savings achieved are pretty considerable, especially for smaller companies.
On the other hand, large companies are somewhat reluctant to store their sensitive and strategic data in the cloud.
Some stakeholders believe that it is still safer to keep all files within reach.
Therefore, the biggest challenge for companies offering software as a service is to demonstrate that the technology used to host data on the Internet is secure and is becoming more confident every day.